Friday, June 02, 2006

Making an effort..

Last Friday my SIL when over to the school to get the report cards for the mid term exams on the religious studies subjects. My nephews are in Al-Amin and apart from 5 normal curricular subjects they have 10 religious subjects to get through. And the UPSR for these subjects will be in July if I'm not mistaken. Immediately after the school holidays they have another exams for these 10 subjects..so imagine my SIL in her panic state..

So Zahin has 6a's and Muhd I think 5a's. And being in the 1st class this is just not good enough. My SIL called me up on the phone on that Friday itself to convey her frustrations. At the very beginning I too was very dissapointed with the kids and they have actually been quite playful after Abang's death. Everything is in a concept of redha for Zahin and Muhd falls asleep after 5 minutes of reading!! Muhd throws tantrum every night during the exam week and SIL cried buckets for this.

Their face shows no regrets expression..no sadness..no sorry ma look..i'll study harder now..etc..etc.. I thot of giving them a "booster" in the weekend until I read one of my favourites daily dose must read blog and remembered something from my past.

I've forgotten what is like to be kids. I was not a very bright kid in term of studies..when all others dreamt to be doctors, engineers, accountants etc..I was still thinking whether or not I can survive SPM. What I love to do then was read..read and read...give me a book I shall find a corner and read till my mom come over and give me a pinch to the real world. Plus I loveeee....to watch TV...remember The 'A'team, McGyver, V, Little House on the Prarie, 21 Jump Street and all the old skool sitcoms like cosby, happy days and lots more.

But my mom, she knows my strength and weaknesses. She knows I'm not like my bro's and sista's..i'm more of the playful type. But I catch up fast and have good sense in doing things. She sat with me during my major exams and tells me that what important is the effort...result is secondary. Whatever the result is after the best effort given, leave it to her to handle it. And effort is what I gave.. being a last minute person, I burned the midnight oil few weeks before exams, she photocopies all the past years papers and mark it for me. Through her connection as a teacher she got me a splendid teacher for certain subjects that she's not good at. It was my effort and her effort. And so I completed my SPM. Got Grade 2, not too bad for a baddie like me..my dad was so sure that I'll get S.A.P... I got into a private college on my daddy's expense(he made sure he kept some for rainy days i.e to subsidized a pain in neck daughter like this, the rest of the clan when on to the normal U's) and studied Hotel Management where I dealt with lesser calculations.. ohh..and I hate maths!! Mommie build my confidence, my character and attitude towards life, that I can be what I want to be if I put in my best effort. And this too was my late bro's advice to me when I was facing the first difficulties in my working life.

When my 2nd bro failed badly in his SRP because he could not cope up with the religious subjects in this Agama boarding school, my mom quickly took him out from the school and put him in a normal school a walking distance from home. My dad went berserk!! it's more of his reputation with the neighbors. In his first exam for the subject principal of accounts he scored 7/100... my mom first step was to find a good tuition teacher for this and she did. My bro promised her that he will score in his SPM and score with flying colors he did... that too was my mom and my bro's effort.

When my big sista discontinued her studies in ITM banking studies..again my dad when crazy!!! at the time a bank officer is like so the dream of maks and abahs of the 80's. She supported my sista decision when she wanted to study Hotel Management in a private college...she contributed her money and energy for this.(at that point my dad was really pissed with mum and sista) I remembered we woke early dawn to make some kuih's and frying stuff to be send to this shop in PKNS/SA and school canteens. 'We' means us the whole siblings.... and she flew to the States after her Dip to gain her degree with mom and us effort.

This is what I want to instill in my nephews and nieces. Make an effort for everything they need to do in life. It dun matter whether it's 6a's or 10a's or no a's at all, the most important thing is they've done their part and struggle to achieve it. It takes more than academic success to be great in life. When you put effort in doing things it also defines your attitude towards life..you appreciate materials and life more.

I seriously need to sit down and have coffee with Zahin and Muhd...I hope I can survive the "malas nak layan" faces on them..

9 comments:

Mama Rock said...

oh, i am going through this cycle with my teenager! sakit jiwa betul!

Am just a gal said...

when I discontinued in ITM Secretarial.. no words but I knew how bad I hurted my mom n dad.. but be a gud n bad daugther, further study at IPTS.. now I knew that they happy for me

booGie said...

kena pandai tackle tu. Pendekatan tu da betul, cuma cara je kena pandai. So, pandai2 la ye. Budak2 ni tak boleh jemu. Semoga berjaya

UglyButAdorable said...

~mamarock~
aiyoo..ma..it's easier when they're your kids..for me?? when they like nak distance for me i tend to be softer..i dun want them to be far from me..

~NzN~
u go girl!! and i'm sure you're proud of yurself too..

~boogie~
mekaseh la boogs..susah woii..jaga budak laki niee..

maklang said...

Memang susah nak suruh bebudak ni dengar cakap...kesian SIL. Hope everything will be OK, InsyaAllah...

Idham said...

Saikologi kanak2...kadang2 they are one step ahead...they saikologikan kita dewasa ni dulu hehehe...
but, to me la kan...it is a balance we should encourage them to strike for; ilmiah, iman, insaniah, dan aktiviti2 fizikal.
one of my challenges have been to discourage my boys from being rooted to the playstation..sunguh tak sehat untuk perkembangan fizikal...

enjoy parenting <---wy mish to ur SIL.

idham

UglyButAdorable said...

~mak lang~
it's harder for her now that she's a single mom..tapi i keep telling her that there a lot of other singles mother who has to deal with other obstacles..especially dr segi material..

~Id~
oohh..yes ps2..now that ps3 dah kuar..lagi laaa..susah..tks bro..

Ordinary Superhero said...

agree. efforts more important. Lepas tu, bergantung kepada rezeki masing2 Tawakkal je lah.

UglyButAdorable said...

Bro HERO...
~I had that talk with zahin..i hope he understands..