Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mom and Cooking

So it’s confirmed that Mom has Rheumatoid-Arthritis. Doctor says that modern technology has not found any cure for this disease. They can just ease the pain by giving steroids which may lead to other complications like BP, heart disease, kidney etc etc. Also to do lots of exercise or the right term is physiotherapy. Twice a day at least so that the joints would not stay stiff and lesser chances of cracked or broken bones if she takes a slight fall unintentionally. Mintak lah dijauhkan Allah..

She was warded for one night on the 9th for an observation. The Doctor just wants to see and monitor her conditions for that whole day and also introduced some other kind of exercise. Because Mom has BP Doctor has given her the mildest steroids to ease her pain. Steroids are steroids..what else is there to rank it?? Mom and we decided that she would not take the steroids unless she really really needs it.

*Salam to all Kakak2 and adik2. Mumy bole discharge esok, InsyaAllah. Dr Rheumatologist nak observe aje today. So no worries, she’s all right. Dapat gud rest. The condition of the ward is reasonably fine.*

That was the SMS big sis sends to all siblings, cousins and in laws. So much as expected I did not get that SMS from her, instead I got it from my SIL. I’m fine with the cold treatment and non-talking terms for now, it’s infact a relief… but not to include update on mom to me..that’s just so selfish of her. But it’s ok, I have my means and ways.

The Big sis brought her to see a Chinese Doctor in Putrajaya. We’ve decided to try alternative medicine. At this point of time we’re keeping our hopes high. She has now able to move her neck and look rather fresh after the treatment. It’s acupuncture treatment. Mom said poking of the needles is not painful but when the medicine travels along her nerves she can feel the pain which will numb her. This is a good sign according to the Sinseh. She must not feel pain throughout the treatment, she should feel numb.

For this week, I had 2rest days. I..Moi…actually cooked for iftar… Boleh ker?? How long have I left that cooking?? Can’t recall. I remembered taking over the kitchen when big sis left for the States to further her studies. Mom was a teacher then and Abah was already a pensioner. She left when I was 15yr/o. I was on morning session and mom was teaching at the afternoon session. I remembered vaguely cooking full meals everyday through out the year and I actually enjoyed it. I hated the cleaning part though. I guess that was what distances me from cooking later on in life..I hated the cleaning so much.

I learned how to cook masak kicap, asam pedas, soups and vegetables. I learned how to make cekodok ikan bilis, sardine rolls, fried noodles and also baked chocolate cakes, sandwiched cakes and kuih bakar. I think mom did teach me how to cook curry and gulai but it just did not registered into my brain. Anything with coconut in it, automatically gives me the difficult signal. Cakes and kuih bakar was for selling then. Cakes for me were for eating only, I don’t really like to baked, and I find it very tedious. But kuih bakar was my favorite, it was very easy, chucked everything in a blender and straight to the flowery shape container. At that time though I was still squeezing “santan” since the santan itself was not on sale yet except for the manufactured santan which is not delicious to use. But the waiting…waiting for it to baked fully was an agony. Lamer gilers woohhh… Couple of times I woken up to a hangus kuih bakar!!1 At that time we had 3 ovens and 18pcs at one go. It will take about 3hrs for all those 18pcs to become a finish product. Then cooling off time lagie, then packing it and hantar to kedai. But it was good money.

I stopped cooking as soon as I went to college. Mom was not like other mom, she dun really pester and say things like anak dara tak reti masak ker or things like that. But keeping the house clean, now that she’s particular. So off and on when she finishes her cooking I will do my part which is cleaning…terpaksa laaa. Sometimes there were times that I would not even know where all the rempah ratus are when we have other people cooking at home. Terukkan??

When I finished my studies, came back home and started my job, the more reason I have not to cook. Then I left for London. When you’re alone, all the things that mom teaches you and not the school subject becomes practical. I sometimes cook on my off days or simply grab my fav sandwiches at the nearest Marks. I have this Kakak whom I always hang out with on my off day..and we will eat our heart out on that day which is usually every week. Or if it’s pay day we will go to Oriental City or Naha to get our hands on the char koay teow and teh tarik. Sometimes I will get stuffs at China Town and will make a feast for the 2 of us. I remembered when we makan the belacan and ikan masin, the daughter will go with hands covering her nose..Mom…sooo smelly…I think the neighbor Kaka. And we’ll go..yeah I think so too sweetie. How I miss that little girl and her mom.

So on Tuesday I cooked Ayam Masak Kicap and sayur campur goreng. On Wednesday I cooked Ikan goreng masak sambal, sayur sup and also cekodok ikan bilis. Terasa la proud gilers hari tu..and I did the cleaning up too. I felt like SAHM those 2 days without the kids though. It was swell and tiring. Now I know that SAHM is not all about shaking legs all day. Respect to all the SAHM bloggers.

Now I’m back at the office. 2 goods days of cleaning and cooking..I think I will stick to working for now..this is what I do better.

29 comments:

Ordinary Superhero said...

Bagus lah tu balik cuba2 memasak tu. Heh heh.

Abt your mum, it's important for her and the whole family to not giving up hope. Insyaallah.

itot said...

Hehehhe..saya suka masak too..dan tak suka (err kurang suka) bab kemas2 semula..tapi sebenar-benarnya yang paling suka tu bab makan lah ;)

(Seronok rasa hati bila tgk you ceria, UBA ;) )

Kak Elle said...

UBA first of all glad your mom is doing ok,yes alternative treatment could be good but becareful with chinese medicines as most of them contains steroids.Thats the reason I notice they don't label the names.Yes I've started a blog which I started in August but decided to abort it.Can I link you?
Wah adik kakak pandai masak bila bolih mencuba?
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

*hugs*

when you're free, let's meet up.

Kak Teh said...

UbA, hope your mak is comfortable. What else can I say? Doa, doa, doa for your mak and mine and others.

Tynna said...

Gd girl! It's great that your mom have you to help around..and you're collecting all the little stars for your good deeds..

It's not easy of coz with all the tidying up and cooking , looking after yr mom and going to work!
You'll make a super wife when the times comes Babyface! hehehhehe...

maklang said...

Harap2 mom is ok now.

Bila nak jemput datang makan ni...

Am just a gal said...

Sis..

About ur mom, harap2 akan bertambah sihat dan ceria.. pasti syawal bermakna

About ur sis, I think she shouldn't do that.. whatever it is "her" mom is "ur" mom..

About the cooking.. ehem ehem.. when can I taste it??

Mama Rock said...

errrr..bila nak jemput datang makan :) keh keh keh!

D.N.A.S said...

Eh, cite-cite pasal kuih bakar tu, sharelah resipi nak buat kuih tu. Yang ni kuih kemboja tu kan? Yang kaler hijau, and then atas dia ada tabur bijan tu, betul tak? Hmmm nyummmm I like.

trueblue said...

Started to really learn how to cook during my Uni days at UK. Takde choice la kan. Kalau tak, tak merasalah masakan melayu selalu.
I really don't mind cooking actually. Its kinda fun..it feels especially great when people comment "mmmmm...sedapnya you masak!!". Bangga siot :)

AuntyN said...

Adorable : I hope your mom will be OK with the alternative treatment. I do know how you feel seeing your mom almost helpless like that. She is lucky to have you around though.

Macam benda lain jugak,in cooking tu "practice makes perfect" Happy cooking again. :-)

merapuman said...

i can cook tapi tak nak.

btw, sometime u all perasan tak yg kadang2 kita lebih rapat dgn kawan drp adik beradik. and kekadang kawan lagi boleh diharap dari adik beradik. kan ?

be strong girl!

Idham said...

*hugs*
i read your previous entry and this one.....
my heart feels for you
hope all ends well...for the sake of MOM. She needs to see smile all around her...and her heart will bleed if she knew her daughters bermasam muka SBB DIA.
Best wishes Sis...and happy Eid.

You may not know...I hv been thru similar situation, once. When my late mom was ill.

Idham

Nour said...

wishing your mom a speedy recovery and you, take care ya.

Wah....terrornye masak bila nak pass your cooking skills kat I.. I am so hopeless when it comes to cooking. I used to love cooking tapi lately ni macam malas nye.

Selamat Hari Raya SIS!

Mme RoSsé said...

aloha...
ayam masak kicap. i like.

Semoga ibunya sihat walafiat.

Salam Aidilfitri.

Sya said...

MAS

SELAMAT HARI RAYA AND MAAF ZAHIR BATIN..

Semoga ur mom sihat sentiasa, admire ur mom.. sungguh sabar dia

gravtkills said...

hope everythin turns out ok for mom...maaf zahir batin and selamat hari raya

Typhoon Sue said...

Since u rajin masak memasak ni, I assume u yang akan masak ketupat dan rendang hari raya nanti kut? hehehe.... good luck, jgn sampai hangus tau!

Selamat Hari Raya to you, your mom, your big sis and your entire family

UglyButAdorable said...

~bro hero~
lets doa for the best.. insya allah.. as for the cooking tu..boleh la skit2 now.. keep it going laaa for now

~itot~
i like uu!!!! i pun suker makan... ader skit ceria laa..sbb kurang cakap ngan monster...hahahahaaa..

~kak elle~
hugs back... be my guest kak elle..i'm honored..:)

ubat sinseh tu some kind of leaves which kena boil dulu..hopefully takder steroid la yerr..

UglyButAdorable said...

~jade~
oohh,..jar dahling..tak tau la biler boleh jumper..kalau kat sunway pyramid after work skejab boleh la sis..me going down to kl for the moment tak la kot..btw sis..u take care yerr..

~kak teh~
tks kak teh..yes kak teh doa la byk untuk mak mak kiter sumer kan..insya allah ...HE knows best

~blackfeline~
super wife??? cehhh..ngeri thinking of it..hahahaaaaa..

UglyButAdorable said...

~mak lang~
alaaa..ML camner yerr..nak jemput?? tak confident laaa..hehhh..hehhh...

~nzn~
tks sis..about my sis..it's better now that we're not talking...senang skit.. takper laa..i'm a strong person..insya allah i'll survive this..my mom it's my priority now without of course neglecting my rights..

UglyButAdorable said...

~mamarock~
jemput makan??? aiyoo pot luck can aaa??

~dnas~
hahhaaa..tu la kuih bakar tu..macam2 nama laaa..

resipi..kena recall ngan mom..serious ke nakk?? i leh bagi..tak kedekut ilmu..dun worry :)

~trublue~
memang bangga kaann?? cam bagus jer..at that time abih bagus laaa..

UglyButAdorable said...

~auntyN~
ye la kan AN..i too always keep in mind that ader org yg lagie susah dr kita kan...

masak AN jgn tak masak..:)

~merapuman~
absolutely!! not all laa..ader la seciput..tapi some peeps just dunh understand..

~idham~
hi bro...i'll keep tht in mind..insya allah i'll breeze thru this..my hope is to see my mom better

UglyButAdorable said...

~nour~
malas?? memang malas laaa..nak buat camno..desperate situation requires desperate measures..hentam jer laa..:)

~damme rosse~
salam aidilfitri to u too..:) memang fevret uu..ayam masak kicap tuu...

~kak sya~
tks kak sya..memang laaa sabar orgnyer..malang nyer anak dier sumer temper tak tentu arah..

salam aidil fitri to u too

UglyButAdorable said...

~gravtkills~
tks gravt..have a blissfull eid too..

~typhoon sue~
masak for the aidilfitri..under big sis department..me bab kemas2 only..:)

salam aidilfitri to u too..

Cosmic_GurL said...

Sorry to hear abt yr mom. Ure such a good daughter la. Sejuk hati mak u beranak u :)

Azer Mantessa said...

hope everthing is well over your side.

maaf zahir bathin.

UglyButAdorable said...

*cosmicgurl*
tks cg...mintak2 lah i nie menjadie seorg anak yg baik..sumtimes nakal gak..:)

*azermantessa*
tks bro..and hope yurs are ok too..