Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Bahasa Jiwa Bangsa

This is a long overdue post..i think i wrote this for the already over Merdeka day...well better late than never. I can't even remember which Sunday that I saw FFM19. It's definately not the past 2 weeks though because life has been hectic. I have like 5 entries in my draft, which is not fully complete... coz I get too tired easily nowadays....oohh..man..i really need a booster.. whatever that come across my mind and I dun have the pc in front of me, i will scribble it, so i can input it later..

so wht did i miss? a merdeka wishes to all and thanks also for all the birthday wishes...u know who u are..and i luv y'all

well, read thru and wait for more to come.... and to those that kept coming...tks so much...and i will make my way thru your blog soon... insyaAllah


--------------------------------------------------



I managed to watch the rerun of FFM19 on Sunday. I came across the show half- way through and decided to switch channels in between just so I can catch the much said"I feel stupid speaking malay" controversy.

Bahasa jiwa bangsa, I don't consider myself cakap speaking berabuk kaa..or whatsoever but depending on situations yes i can speak like a londoner not cockney yaaa..though i can swear in cockney fluently or speak like americanish gitu. I tend to adjust myself automatically to suit each individual. Not because I want to please them or nak tunjuk perasan bagus kaa but simply because I'm comfortable with it. When I speak to my gardeners at work, automatically my bahasa melayu jadi bahasa indon. Does that make me a less berjiwa bangsa? What do u think?

I think this young actress is full of dynamic, full of spirit, full of everything for that matter that she forget by being bold with words in the Malaysian public has it's stake. She's just so bold that she forget that, that night was FFM19 not the Emmy Awards. She wants to be outspoken without preparing her self with the right words and the crowd expectation. I'm pretty sure what she meant that night was, "i'm comfortable in delivering my speech in english". It would be less controversial but it will still spark some uneasiness among people. Biasa la tekak rakyat malaysia nie sentiasa ada benda yg nak dipertikaikan. As I mentioned couple of times, we're one creative nation. Macam-macam ada!!! So Nani girl don't be sad, last year you were shivering on stage but this year you're a totally different, very gutsy..errr.. i didn't watch last year FFM's but that was what mentioned. So that is a good transformation, it shows that you have matured and will keep on doing just that and along the way you will face all sorts of obstacles and that's life.. so keep up the good work.

I don't write as good as I was in the school..mind you that is about 13years ago. Paper 1 english I will snore after merely and hour or so then I'll start to annoy others by banging the table with the pencil, Paper 2, I will be so engrossed in writing my composition fiction-please begin your composition with this sentence...oohh..those were my favorites. Kencing...kencing...and kencing...tks to virginia andrews and sidney sheldon..hehh..hehhh

I used to read a lot since young. Apart from the much forced piano lesson I have to attend, the much loved ballet lesson and the whishhh and whuuussshhh of swimming lesson I always find time to read. I'll read all sort of things, from fiction, encyclopedia, dictionary, story of the prophets and magazines. What's my favourite?? Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Noddy, Tin tan, Sweet Dreams collections, M&B and I read my first Virginia Andrews - The Dollaganger Family when I was 9. I read in the car, I read while accompanying my mom kat Kompleks PKNS SA tu jual carpet, I read kat party tupperware dan di segala party MLM business..arcopal, arcoroc, cosway, tokway..pyrex...pheww!!! I read before sleeping infact I read everything except my text books. Ohh..those were the boring ones. I remembered when I was 10 or 11, I got really bad results in my exam that I packed my back and ran away from home with my BMX. The first place my mom look was at the then "Berita Book Centre-BBC" at PKNS and guess who she found?? Yours truly... Well at least for that particular exam I did not get a whip on my palm....oucchh sakit wooo.. Than at one point after form 5 I completely stop reading..goshh I dunno why?? I regretted that. Me being introduced to this blog land have made me realised that I've missed a whole lot of things in life..simple thing such as reading a book, taking time off for myself and appreciating people around me i.e family and friends.

The only subject that I scored constant disinction since std 1 was English. I wonder why I did not take up TESL or sumthin similar..or kept on reading, I would have been able to write beautifully like my goddess friend. Ohh..I so envy her..magnificent style she has..and her song....beautifully written. But she is in everyway and every inch is Malaysian and she swears on that.. kann..kannn?? Melayu kapak gilersss.. just like me..

Sometime ago when I was a teenager I asked my mom,

Me - Mie, why the chinese student of yours can score straight for BM and I can't?

Mom - Because, the malay think, just because we speak malay and we're born with it, we can ace the subject. The chinese on the other hand think, to compete with the malay in getting a spot in the uni they have to ace this subject and because it's not their mother tongue they learn it the straight way - via the text book.

Me - I think I can write a good karangan..

Mom - Ok..go and write and then you compare it with my student's paper.

*Mom was teaching in a chinese school.


What a shame..my BM for spm was only C5..cukup2 makan..malu sehhh..dgn non-malay yg lain..almost all distinction. Should I be proud that I aced English??

Orang selalu tanyer..ehh..camner yer u pandai cakap english?? eehh..pandai ker?? i imitate jer pandai..pastuh byk tengok tv..maser kecik2 dulu tengok mcgyver, the a team, star wars, V, dan sumer sitcom i.e happy days, punky brewster, family ties, eight is enough, growing pains and macam2 lagie la..damn!!! what's that sitcom malcolm jamal was in...oohh..that famous actor..arrgghh...and also that sitcom with the shorty black guy..aiyaaaa...now it's killing me..tolong..i will not sleep soundly for this....

Okehh that should be my first instance nyer answer.

Then I will say, READ. Read as much as you can and keep a pocket dictionary next to you always. Read also the daily newspaper. I was lucky that my parents thot that having daily newspaper send to the house is important when we were kids. Now?? none of my married siblings house ader subscribe from the mamak paper. Kesian mamak tu?? Can't blame them..the papers nowadays are full of craps..time has changed. But like someone has said before, paparazzi only write what people want to read, so if there's demand on crap issues so crap issues is what we'll get.


Now with the topsy turvy grammars, silly spelling errors, wrong way of writing sentence i.e verb, adjective, verb to be etc..I'm starting to write anyway. I've spend considerable amount of money at MPH that will last me till the end of the year I hope. I make a point to read a page or two before I go into my lala land, I read during heavy traffic and I'll keep on reading. And I will keep on writing my blog in english or campur and not in full BM. Not because I feel stupid, simply because I'm comfortable with it and I look up at people who writes in BM...they have my utmost respect..simply because, I'm not as good as them in doing so.

For the coming National Day, here wishing all of you out there..Selamat Hari Merdeka ke 49!!! May we have more merdeka to come... merdeka to write how we want, to speak how we like and to sing when we want without being judge.

I'm every inch Malaysian and I'm proud of it. But I would like to stay in London because I can put on my nice charity shop trench coat in winter, wear my not a 2nd hand trainers during summer and clickety clack my sexy black boots during spring and breathe the nice smell breeze of autumm leaves.

Yes..people...c'mon, hit me mate..hit me!!!

29 comments:

itot said...

Saya suka penulisan awaklah UBA (ayat skema bahasa Melayu). Sesungguhnya apa yang saya nyatakan adalah benar. Saya juga cemburukan kebolehan awak menulis menggunakan Bahasa Inggeris yang mantap.Ingin mencontohi awak sebenarnya, tapi saya selalu terasa maksud tak sampai apabila menulis dengan bahasa Inggeris.(Apabila menggunakan bahasa Melayu pun maksud tak jugak sampai-sampai). Apakan daya..hehehehehh..Oh saya minta diri dulu, perlu ke sekolah, cikgu sudah menunggu..

Ordinary Superhero said...

Yes I wish I have more tome to read too. Nowadays, apart from newspapers, I only read job related materials (statutes, case laws, business news). Boringnya. Banyak buku yang beli pun tak habis2 baca. But thanks to whoever invented blogs, at least I could bloghop! Yeay.

Hajar said...

phewwww!! sgt panjang ini posting. adakah anda membalas dendam setelah tidak menulis selama dua minggu? hehe.. welkam bek kakak.. good to have you back!

Am just a gal said...

Oh after a long due, how are u sis?? Bahasa sekarang tak semestinya menjiwakan bangsa, sebab kalau ber speaking london, tak semestinya u bukan melayu kan kan... and i do speaking indon jugak... :))

Mme RoSsé said...

hmm...
perhaps we are the 'feel local, think global' gen?
but just wondering, i like to have my tiramisu with tehtarik...
masih Melayu-kah saya?

trueblue said...

Gosh...lama tunggu u nak update :)

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your entry. So true and so real. I can relate to it coz I grew up reading all sorts of story books.

You rock, girl.. :)

Nazrah Leopolis said...

oih..ni angkat-angkat ni ada apa-apa ka kawan?

thank u for putting so much faith in me...padahal tu semua hampas punya goreng.

u realize kita yg separa kbsm/klsm memang haru biru sikit bahasa kan? tapi bahasa ibunda tetap di jiwa babe!!walaupun tak pernah dapat A. haha.

gravtkills said...

saya belajar di sekolah cina tetapi saya memaksa budak2 cina supaya bercakap melayu instead of saya belajar bahasa cina

Azer Mantessa said...

am hitting u with my best shot :-)

1. bahasa jiwa bangsa = bahasa menunjukkan bangsa = bagaimana penggunaan bahasa seseorang itu boleh menunjukkan prilaku/watak seseorang itu. sekiranya seseorang menggunakan bahasa yang kesat/kasar ---> seseorang itu boleh dianggap sebagai seseorang yang pemarah/kurang bersabar/kurang pendidikan.

2. sepatutnya pelakon itu bersedia untuk berbahasa melayu iaitu bahasa yang digunakan di dalam majlis tersebut. lagipun, pelakon tersebut pernah menggunakan bahasa melayu di dalam filem. rancangan tersebut hanyalah untuk peringkat kebangsaan, bukannya peringkat antarabangsa.

3. saya juga tidak menyaksikan rancangan itu tetapi sekira ada pelakon tersebut memperlekehkan bahasa melayu, saya harap beliau akan lebih berjaya di dalam bidang lakonan, lebih berjaya sehinggalah ke peringkat antarabangsa, berjaya sampai ke hollywood dan tinggal menetap sajalah di sana.

4. bahasa melayu hampir dihapuskan ketika pihak penjajah menegakkan malayan union. malang bagi pihak penjajah kerana ada diantara bangsa melayu yang menentang rancangan mereka. inilah sebenarnya orang2 yang gagah berani.

PS. my malay too is lousy but the least i try though i myself not so malay.

Kota ini kita bina di atas tulang-tulang ...

~ GAB ~ said...

I am one of them that much more comfortable to write in English. It does not necessarily mean my English is good but I think I can express better in English.

To write, it takes talent and I know for sure I do not have those talents; in either language, BM or English. I do speak english way, way lot better as compared to writing.

But when it comes to what had happened to that artist, I can never agree with her remarks when she belittled the national language in a formal function with the attendance of dignitaries, meant for local broadcasting with BM used as a medium. If she wanted to speak in English, just go ahead and speak and better be all in English as English is supposed to be, correct grammatical order, appropriate vocabs usage, intonation and what not... Not even a word of "la" in it.

Anyway, I like your writing UBA!

Mama Rock said...

Adorable - malcolm jamal tu is Cosby show and the short guy tu in different strokes, am i right?

yup I grew up with sesame street - watched it every saturday afternoon on RTS - radio TV singapore (now media corp). Dulu dok jb exposed to the language earlier. Cakap melayu memang terer especially bahasa pasar, nak cakap formal in public, kena praktis dulu, kalau tak make a blunder of myself. tulis melayu, boleh lah gak sebab dulu rajin buat copy writing job and translation job.

baca buku - hmm mengapa tak tinggal tapi buku citer je...

so melayu kah aku? kalau makan belacan, memang lah sah melayu no matter how thick the accent is :)

Nour said...

Adorable, you too eh!!...I was so into sweet dreams, sweet valley high when I was a teenager but later on got hooked onto historical romance and M&B. I just lurve reading as that is when all the imagination sets in :P

I am gonna start a collection of the malay novels pretty soon ....heard that they are good :)

Am so proud to be a Malaysian, who not only speaks Malay but loves the sambal belacan..:)

merapuman said...

hello ugly ... eh.. adorable ... eh ... renee (i assume ... based on your email). saje singgah, nice post. i pun, dulu-dulu, masa sekolah baca hardy boys and comics. masa u baca stephen king (dan seangkatan) and comics and nowadays baca azizi ali (and seangkatan) and comics, tapi sejak akhir2 ni baca buku ustazah bahyah :) ... and still comics. comics pun hanya from marvel and dc sajer not that pedang setiawan type.

UglyButAdorable said...

~itote~
oh...itot saya sungguh cemburu bahawasanya yang anda berada disana dan bukan disini..uhukkk..uhukk...aper aper pun saya sungguh teruja membaca catatan anda...

nyeh..nyehhh..amcam ok la kan??

~broHero~
cud not agree more..tks to that genius who invented blogs atau yg seangkatan dgn nyer..i think i now communicate more with the bloggers than my real life frens..

~jade~
tq..jar...how's the new sofa??.. mesti teruja kan..kan??

UglyButAdorable said...

~nzn~
i'm fine sis..and u?? yeahh..it's true, tapi jgn memperlecehkan bahasa kita dah..whatever it is that is our root...

~btb~
hit me yeahh...hehh..hehh..new job great..downfall?? i no longer have the privileged to be off on sunday..uwaaaa!!!!!

~dammerosse~
oohhh..tiramisu dgn teh tarik..sungguhlah manis skalik..boleh la tu...itu lah namernyer improvising..

UglyButAdorable said...

~trublue~
we rawk girl!!! we all rawk!!! and tks for waiting..and i'll drop by soon

~intan~
u know intan, i wonder why fate only connect us at our late teens..why..why...perhaps ader rahmat disebalik segalanyer...u are my rawk..u understand me on almost everything...weird dyn u think..macam dah kenal bertahun..
and yes konyer hampas goreng tu la yg aku suker bacer...


~gravtkills~
bro..kau mestilah taiko kg dusun di skolah kau tu..hahhahahhahaa..

UglyButAdorable said...

~azermantessa~
bro..u got it right..aper pun jgn perlekehkan legacy kita kan? as i said she's just to immature terlalu berkobar2 la konon..but sumhow she belittle a lot of people out there..and i hope she will learn frm this..

and in everything we do..effort itu penting..so big hand for us who at least tried and have kept trying ehh..

and i very much like yur writing..and yur songs..:)

~gab~
yeah bro..she shud speak a flawless english then yekk..kalau kena kutuk pun puas hati kan..
as i said and agreed..aper pun do not belittle out legacy kan..

tks..and i like yur writing too..and will drop by soon..

~mamarock~
yayy..ma..u solve it..that's the one..pecah kepala pikir..tks
memang la melayu kapak kan kita nie..takde raper yg nak dimalukan..and even if we're speaking with accent..so wht..yg penting dlm kan??

UglyButAdorable said...

~nour~
oohh..memang best sumer buku itu kan... and yes i eaty belacan and oso petai..yummeh...

~merapuman~
hehhh..sumer pun boleh la..hentam only..

yeah our reading have improve with age kan..i'm also trying to go into more thotful things not just the paperbags

aahhh..the comics...suker camtu camtu jer..but i have couple of frens who's obsesssed with it..i like the movies though

BigData@Bluesify said...

marvellous and long entry..:-)

Idham said...

ADORABLE...

In true style, you r making ur come back in true style...
psst: i baca from start to finish u know...hehehe...:)

yes yes, ur english cair maa...so cool and good...ur malay...hmm....ok la...i can identify with ur malay...bahasa jiwa-jiwa bangsa ka? hahaha

Yep, so cool kan clickety clack with ur sexy black boots....walalala....wanna see u like la dat la Mas...bebeh.

Idham

maklang said...

Mak oi...pajenyo...

Maklang kalau cakap dengan orang Melayu suka cakap Melayu laa...kenkadang tu saje2 nak cakap Melayu dengan orang yang cakap omputih sebab kalau cakap omputih grammar tu betul tak pe gak, ni tonggang langgang.

UglyButAdorable said...

~jalak lenteng~
tks...do come again..

~idham~
hehh..hehhh..sexy black boots yerr..not in kl la..panaih ooiii..

~maklang~
alaaa..hentam jer ML..the blogland is not a place where we hammers each other on grammars..etc..kalau ader pun...tu dah giler kot..

Digitalite said...

well, at first I have nothing against her when I read the news (yeah, this is about the "I feel stupid" girl). The moment I read it, I knew what she meant. but when I watched the rerun, she's stupid when she talked about the "if making movies is merosakkan bangsa, lets do it more often" then she crossed the line. i mean, nak korbankan bangsa sebab nak show a good movie? I dont think that movie is great anyway and her acting? well, that's not for me to judge but I think she sucks!

pasal belajar English dari movies and books? yeah... that's the only way. but my case, it was movies, games and comics hahaha

bertique said...

saya setuju dgn awak. tapi, dia cantik.

camna ekk? hahaha

Freak and Geek said...

oklah tu. bahasa melayu ker, bahasa omputih.

kite tetap malaysian?

ok, ayat saya tu sungguh lah berterabur. bahasa rojak.

kena ban ker? hehehee

Sya said...

UBA

Kak sya cakap melayu boleh, omputeh boleh, mandarin pun boleh, kantonis pun faham, hindi pun ada faham.

I write my blog/my journal in Malay becos I feel like it, thats the only thing that I write in BM these days.

Now I have problem with my eldest son.. excel in English and always bad result in BM.. how aaa?

UglyButAdorable said...

~panjang~
hahhhaahaaa...like i say la panjang..everyone;s entitle to their own opinion..it's open sea here..but i kinda understand you. but like is said..she's young surrounded by peeps yg mengapi2 tak tentu pasal..i mean we say things we regret when we're young kan..biaq pie la dier..asalkan bahagia..

~bertique~
nyeh..nyehh..bert..bert u sungguh kelakar..cantik kah dier??

UglyButAdorable said...

~fng~
hentam la beb...like u said..janji kiter malaysian kan... ban?? jauh sekali..takkan ku ban kan kau..hahhahahhh

~kak sya~
hhmm...that's the problem la kan kak... i try though..tapi mesti lari gak..and for u being able to do so..memang respect laa..

Lollies said...

yang takutnya kita akan jadi jack of all trades tapi average sahaja. master of none. sayalah tu termasuk